Friday, March 21, 2008

FreePress.net

I wanted to point out any interested readers to these guys. If you find yourself in a position of what is sometimes known as "voter outrage" over media and technology issues, this is a good site to find easy and effective ways of letting the powers that be hear your voice. FPDN is the parent organization for SaveTheInternet.com, and StopBigMedia.com. I think you can get a general guage on their motives from the names of their websites. Whenever a bill is introduced that affects the way the public interacts, these guys are usually working on ways to make sure congress votes in favor of the public, and not large corporations.

Now, I will say that while I tend to agree with most of what these guys tend to say, I will make sure I mention that this is a governmental lobby. That means that while their cause may be admirable, they will do as much as they can to get as many people as they can to see things from their point of view. They seem to have scruples when it comes to this, unlike other lobbyist groups, but I would advise at least doing your own research. I like these guys, but I'm against lobbyist groups in general. Please try to make up your own mind about the issues, and don't let an organization, FPDN or any other, tell you what to think.

So, with that addendum aside, I will say these guys fight the fight for the little guy, and I'm all for that. I sign up for their email updates, and I get an email from them anytime something is shaking in media or internet legislation. Usually they will link to a form letter or email you can send to your congressman (or whatever governing body is in question). It's actually about the easiest way to get your voice heard. They usually send you to a page on their site, where all you have to do is enter your home zip code, and it will tell you who your elected officials are, and give you the option of sending the form letter with just a few mouse clicks. Usually there is some text in there about how a letter is better than an email, and a phone call is better than a letter. I'm going to go ahead and agree there. I would also recommend that you might want to read that form letter, then go ahead and type one up on your own. The more personal the communication, the better chance you have of your congressman not just casting it aside in what I am sure is a sea of correspondence they get on a regular basis. If it's important to you, make sure you study up on the issues (nothing worse than getting to talk to the head honcho and not having your facts straight) and pick up the phone. Or, better yet, make an appointment if you live nearby. Be prepared to wade through a lot of subordinates. These people are busy (hopefully), and there's a reason they have a staff trying to screen out the riff-raff.

At any rate, I happen to think FPDN is an organization trying to do some good. I developed a bit of a anti-corporation attitude early on in my adult life after being screwed over by my cell phone and cable companies, sometimes to the point of outright fraud, and realizing there was little to nothing that could be done about it. I realize I'm just one man, and one man trying to go against a multi-billion dollar corporation isn't generally going to make it very far. Therefore I will admit that there is definitely some value to organizations like FPDN, even if they tend to be a little ...slanted sometimes. I suppose my final position in the subject is that these people are doing good, but make sure you do plenty of your own research, as always.

No comments: